Beauty and Skin: Cellulite: The Causes of Cellulite and Cellulite Removal Options
Cellulite is skin that is lumpy or uneven in appearance and is considered unattractive in our society's often strict notions of beauty. Often described as having a texture similar to cottage cheese or an orange peel, cellulite can be a source of stress and self-consciousness for many women. Cellulite is very common in women, and can affect them regardless of whether they are plus size or petite. But what are the causes of cellulite and what types of cellulite treatment are available to women?
The Causes of Cellulite
While the exact cause of cellulite is unknown, there are a variety of theories as to what causes cellulite.
One such theory is that cellulite is caused by poor blood circulation. This theory is based on the fact that skin where cellulite appears is also pale in appearance and cool to the touch.
Another view is that poor eating habits cause cellulite. A high intake of processed foods coupled with lack of proper hydration is believed to cause an increase in fluids and toxins in the skin, leading to bumpiness.
Who Gets Cellulite?
It is estimated that between 85 and 98% of women will develop some form of cellulite during their lifetime.
Women are also more likely to get cellulite than men. This is due to the fact that women tend to carry body fat, where cellulite is most common – especially around the hips, buttocks and thighs. Men on the other hand, tend to accumulate fat in the stomach area, where cellulite is less common.
Some factors that contribute to the development of cellulite are:
- Genetics: If a woman’s mother or sister has cellulite, chances are that she will also develop it.
- Weight: A woman who is overweight is more likely to get cellulite, especially if she doesn’t exercise regularly or if her diet is poor. However, thin women can also develop cellulite.
- Age: As women age, they are more likely to get cellulite due to the fact that muscle tone decreases as we get older, increasing the appearance of cellulite.
While women who have bumpy skin want to know how to get rid of cellulite, the reality is that cellulite cannot be cured. However, there are a variety of treatments for cellulite, including cellulite creams, as well as and exercises for cellulite that can help to reduce the appearance of lumpy skin.
Such cellulite treatments are:
- Eating healthy: Following a healthy diet complete with balanced meals and drinking a sufficient amount of water daily (6 to 8 glasses) can help to reduce the appearance of cellulite.
- Exercise: Exercise is another at-home cellulite treatment option. Aerobics, stretching and strength training are all exercises that reduce cellulite as they improve muscle tone, which smoothes the appearance of skin.
- Creams: There are a variety of cellulite creams available on the market. The aim of cellulite cream is to improve the elasticity and firmness of the skin. Such creams have variable results.
- Massage: A spa massage can help improve the appearance of skin by promoting blood circulation. Often a local day spa will have massages specifically for cellulite removal. In addition, an at-home cellulite massager helps diminish the appearance of cellulite while relaxing tense, sore muscles.
- Cellulite Acoustic Wave Therapy: This type of cellulite reduction therapy is a relatively new treatment for cellulite. It diminishes lumps in the skin by using pressure waves in order to break up collagen and smooth the dermis (the second layer of the skin). Cellulite acoustic wave therapy also helps to thicken the dermis and to reduce the appearance.