Winter Soup Recipe: Winter Vegetable Soup
This winter vegetable soup recipe is not only delicious, it's nutritious too! Unlike many soups, it is low in fat and low in sodium. This recipe takes about 45 minutes to cook (plus 15 minutes of prep time).
What You'll Need
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 ounces pancetta or bacon, chopped
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups acorn squash, cubed and peeled
- 2 cups red potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans low-sodium low-fat chicken broth 4 cups kale, chopped
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can navy beans, rinsed and drained (you can also opt to use any other small white bean of your choice)
Heat oil over medium-high heat.
Add pancetta or bacon to oil. Let meat sautee for a few minutes, until slightly cooked.
Then add onion and garlic and let saute for about three minutes.
Th next step is to add the squash, potato, celery, carrot, basil, cinnamon and thyme to the pot. Let these ingredients cook together for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Add tomatoes and let cook for two to three minutes.
Stir in chicken broth; let the broth come to a boil.
Reduce heat and allow to simmer for about ten minutes.
Add kale, simmering for 5 minutes.
Finally, add beans and simmer until potatoes become tender (this should take approximately 5 additional minutes).
Makes 4 servings.