New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password? Need Help?  
CatelynnB3 - February 21st, 2011 3:07 PM

Ingredients for good baby food:

Start simple: along with iron-fortified cereal, baby’s first solids can be single foods such as mashed banana or avocado, or cooked and pureed apple, pear, pumpkin or potato.

Once baby is enjoying a good range of fruits and vegetables, introduce some fresh beef, lamb, pork or chicken (not pickled, salted or smoked). Combine meat with vegetables or even fruits such as apple or pear.

Gradually become more adventurous with different foods and textures. When teeth start coming in, try flaky loose fish, mashed legumes and couscous. Include fruits such as berries, citrus and stone fruit that has been deseeded and mashed.

Preparing and cooking baby foods:

Step 1: to make baby food, first peel the skin off fruits and vegetables, trim the fat off meats, and remove any skin from chicken.

Step 2: steam, microwave or boil the foods until cooked, and set aside some of the cooking liquids.

Step 3: puree in a food processor or with a hand blender. Add some cooking liquid if you need to smooth out the mixture. For babies over eight months, chop meat finely. Mash other foods with a fork. If using fish, remove any bones.

Storing and serving baby food:

Pureed baby food can be frozen in clean ice cube trays. Spoon the puree into the trays and cover with plastic wrap. Freeze for 30 days maximum.

Solids can also be stored in plastic containers or glass jars. They’ll keep for up to two days in the fridge or one month in the freezer. Label containers with contents and use-by date.

To serve, pop out food cubes into a glass or ceramic bowl. Warm the solids in the microwave or on the stove. Stir well to get rid of hot spots. Test temperature with a clean spoon on your lip before serving to baby. Discard any leftovers – don’t refreeze.

raisingchildren.net.au/
articles/pip_homemade_baby_food.html

earthbound_11 - February 22nd, 2011 2:49 AM

wow this is really easy, thank you for the detailed steps

MyBigLove4 - February 23rd, 2011 12:53 PM

so true. the only thing parents need is time to do this! but we can always have our child watch us make their food.

DeanF77 - February 24th, 2011 1:35 PM

Very exciting to make baby food at home with our children. I will have some tiny helping hands on the weekend, I'll babysit my nephew and cousins. Best time to attempt making this.

Pattie74 - February 25th, 2011 1:38 PM

4 Ways to Cook Homemade Baby Food
While the basic concept is the same in all cases—getting solid food into a form that is safe and easy for a beginning eater to consume—the cooking techniques used in preparation of homemade baby food can include boiling, steaming, roasting, and even microwaving. Read on to see what method is best for you and your baby.
Method #1: Boiling
Method #2: Steaming
Method #3: Microwaving
Method #4: Roasting

babyzone.com/baby/feeding_nutrit
ion/article/ways-to-cook-homemade-baby-food/

emma_54 - February 26th, 2011 9:49 AM

Are you sure it is safe and healthy for your baby to let them eat home-made baby food? It might not go well with their digestive system.

AbhyGale5 - February 26th, 2011 1:38 PM

homemade baby food is natural! i think its healthier because we can choose an alternative for the food.

CharisseGardener - February 28th, 2011 12:17 AM

I wonder if organic food is also best for babies? and im nt really fon of microwaves, baby foos shoul all be natural.

Please login or register to post on this thread.