There's nothing like fresh, homemade bread. Skip the usual store-bought, white rolls this year by baking some yummy (and healthy!) squash bread rolls instead.
|1 cup milk||1 package regular or quick active dry yeast|
|½ cup sugar||¼ cup warm water|
|2 tbsp butter or margarine||1 cup (1 med.) mashed cooked winter squash or 1 cup canned squash|
|1 tsp salt||4 ½ cups all-purpose flour|
1. Heat milk, sugar, butter and salt in 1-quart saucepan until butter has melted. Cool to lukewarm.
2. Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl. Stir in milk mixture, squash and 2 cups of the flour. Beat with spoon until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.
3. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
4. Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up. Cover and let rise in warm place about 1 1/2 hours or until double (dough is ready if indentation remains when touched).
5. Grease 24 regular-size muffin cups. Punch down dough. Shape into 1-inch balls. Place 3 balls in each muffin cup. Cover and let rise in warm place 30 to 45 minutes or until double.
6. Heat oven to 400°F. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.