Kids crafts like this are fun, plus they teach your children how trees are important for many things, including providing animals and birds with a place to live and food to eat.
For this craft project, you’ll need:
- A large pinecone that is open
- 2½ cups of oats, uncooked, or cornmeal
- ½ cup of vegetable shortening
- String, a few feet in length
- Optional: chopped, dried fruit; chopped nuts; suet and/or seeds
1. Combine the vegetable shortening with the oats or cornmeal and mix until they are thoroughly blended.
2. If you are also adding nuts, fruit or seeds, add those to the mix, thoroughly combining the ingredients.
3. Tie the string onto the pinecone and then cover it with the mixture.
4. Roll the pinecone in your birdseed and then hang it up outside.